People often ask us what decals are and what is the difference between them and stickers? My simplified answer to that is that decals are similar to stickers but without the white background.
With stickers, the design is usually printed on a white adhesive backing. When ready to apply, you just remove the paper backing and stick it wherever you want. Decals, on the other hand, are designs cut into special paper (usually vinyl) and transferred from masking sheets to smooth surfaces.
Decals consist of 3 layers:
- (White) Paper backing
- Design (words, calligraphy, pattern, etc.)
- (Clear) transfer paper
In today’s video, I’m sharing how to make a wood sign with a decal. I used our ” No Phone Zone” decal on a 6 x 6″ unfinished wood panel.
When you purchase a decal from us, we’ll send application instructions to make the process as easy as possible for you. Here’s how you can apply a decal to any smooth surface.
- Make sure that the surface is clean and dry. Dust and dirt lessens
the adhesiveness of the vinyl decal.
- Lay the decal flat with the transfer paper facing up. Then use a
credit card to gently rub the transfer paper to ensure proper
transfer of the vinyl.
- Mark the center of the decal. Place a long piece of masking tape at
the centerline to tape the decal from top to bottom. Then, tape
the decal to the surface where you need to apply it. Make sure it
- Starting at the upper right corner, peel the transfer tape and
vinyl away from the backing paper working your way
towards the centerline. Once there, use scissors to cut the
- Once the paper backing is removed, use a credit card to gently
rub the transfer paper and vinyl onto the surface. Repeat
steps 4-5 with the other side.
- After the decal is attached to your surface, slowly
peel away the transfer paper. As you are peeling it away, if the
vinyl does not attach to the surface, cover it again with
transfer paper, rub it with a credit card, and then peel again.
- Enjoy your newly decorated surface!
I hope you find this helpful and that this video inspires you to try our decals to make your own wood signs.
Leave a Reply